14 Jan Driving in Winter Weather and Car Accidents in Richmond, Virginia
As you know, it’s finally time to break out those coats, hats, and gloves because winter weather has finally hit in Richmond, Virginia. Although Richmond, Virginia has been snow free thus far, snow and ice can’t be far behind freezing temperatures. When the snow starts to fall and ice starts to build it’s time to alter your travel accordingly, be it driving, walking/running, or even biking.
According to U.S. Department of Transportation – Federal Highway Administration, there are more than 5,760,000 automobile crashes each year on average. Approximately 22% of these crashes are weather-related, i.e. involve rain, sleet, snow, fog, or wind. On average, nearly 6,000 people are killed and more than 445,000 are injured in these weather related crashes each year. Of all weather related crashes, 17% occur during snow or sleet, 13% on icy pavement, and 14% take place on snowy or slushy pavement.
Even during adverse weather, drivers are still required to exercise the degree of care that someone of ordinary carefulness would exercise in that circumstance. This means more caution should be used and more care given when driving in adverse weather. If you have been involved in an automobile accident during adverse weather, you should contact an experienced personal injury attorney in Richmond, Virginia to make sure that your legal rights are protected.
If winter weather strikes, you should consider doing the following:
- Always give yourself plenty of time to warm up and scrape your vehicles windows so that you can see clearly while driving;
- Drive more slowly and leave yourself more room between your vehicle and the vehicles in front you;
- Remember that bridges always freeze first;
- Having four wheel drive doesn’t mean you can drive the way you do in clear weather; and
- Keep extra warms clothes in your trunk and let someone know when to expect to hear from you when undertaking a drive during winter weather.
Drive safe and stay warm this winter! If you have been injured in an automobile crash or slip and fall on snow or ice, contact the experienced personal injury attorneys at the Paullin Law Firm in Richmond, Virginia to discuss your case at 804-423-7423.